Artist Biography ~ Adrian Gray
Adrian Gray was born in Bristol in 1961. His work is predominantly sculpture and photography based on the natural world of balance. He creates balancing sculptures using naturally weathered stone usually on location by the coast. As the sculptures are transitory he captures them on film as evidence of their existence. To show live examples of his work he performs stone balancing demonstrations where he creates new sculptures on site.
In the past 8 years his work has evolved to include new ideas and themes, but the predominant feature remains the beauty and seemingly impossible nature of balance.
Exhibitions and Events
- Hartlepool one man show sept 2012
- Art Trove gallery, Singapore oct 2012
- Quartz Sculpture Festival 2011 – Queen College Exhibiting his sculptures in the grounds of the college.
- Apostrophe 2011 – Artist in residence for a week at this busy restaurant in Baker St London.
- Spring Tide Festival 2011
- Glastonbury 2007 – A special invitation to demonstrate in the Avalon area during this International acclaimed festival.
- Fossil Festival 2009, 2010, 2011
- Malt House Gallery 2010, 2011
- Mill Gallery - Lyme Regis 2010, 2011
- Axevale Show 2010
- Dorset Arts Week 2010
- Artsfest 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010. 2011
- River Cottage Fair 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 – a regular guest at this annual fair, creating new stone balancing sculptures and exhibiting prints.
- Henley Art Festival 2008 – Exhibiting sculptures and photographs throughout this prestigious 5 day event.
- Guerrilla Art - Frieze 2006, 2007
- Country Tracks 2011 – Along side presenter Jodie Kidd Adrian discusses his work and how to create a stone balancing sculpture.
- BBC Coast 2010 – Featured in the award winning program on location at the beaches where Adrian creates his sculptures. Seen by ab audience of millions this exposure was the catalyst for national acclaim.
- BBC Inside Out
- Blue Peter
- BBC Inside out
- NDR – Germany Sonntag 2009 – A German program examining various subjects around Europe with a report on Adrian's work along the Dorset coast.
- KOP TV commercial
- BBC Escape to the country
- Daily Telegraph
- Daily Mail [Oct 2011, Sept 2010]
- The Independent
- Wessex Muse
- Surfers Path
- Dorset Magazine
- Kindred Spirit
- Coast Magazine
- Spirit and Destiny
- New Landscape
- Footprint guide to Dorset